Businesses (and some residences) are receiving phone calls from someone claiming to be a representative of the Harrisonburg Electric Commission (HEC). This person states that your account is overdue and payment must be made immediately to avoid service interruption. Payment is usually requested in the form of a prepaid debit card such as a Green Dot card.
- HEC does NOT make calls after hours to request payment for delinquent accounts nor do our service men disconnect delinquent accounts after working hours.
- If you receive a call from anyone requesting immediate payment or personal information, please hang up and call HEC yourself in order to verify the information being requested.
- Do NOT call the phone number that the caller provides you. The HEC phone number is (540) 434-5361. Do NOT give information or payment over the phone to anyone who is threatening immediate disconnection of your service.
- HEC office hours are weekdays 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Do NOT meet anyone here after business hours or on weekends.
- Call the Police and report any suspicious behavior.