Friendly City Solar Program
If you’re interested in powering your home with renewable energy, HEC’s Friendly City Solar program could be a good fit for you. Participating in this community solar partnership means you can feel good about supporting renewable energy without having the high upfront costs or ongoing maintenance of installing solar panels on your home.
Friendly City Solar Program Overview
- Residential customers will be able to purchase renewable energy in 50 kWh blocks, up to 25% of their average monthly usage.
- The cost of each 50 kWh block will be $5.75, which is only $1.50 more than the current cost for 50 kWh of electricity through HEC. Pricing will be fixed for the customer for 25 years.
- Customers who subscribe at the maximum level will pay on average an additional $90/year to be 25% renewable (based on an average usage of 1,000 kWh/month).
- The minimum contract term is one year and will automatically renew unless the customer requests a change.
- Fuel charges are not applied to the block of solar energy on the customer’s bill, but consumption taxes are applied to all energy consumed.
- Upon Customer’s request, subscriptions to the solar program can transfer to a new address if they move within HEC’s service area.
- Customers minimum billed usage would be for the subscribed amount, regardless of metered usage.
At this time, only residential customers in good standing may participate.
Existing net-metered customers do not qualify.
Interested in Participating?
Complete this survey to express interest in participating, and we’ll send you information about enrolling as we get closer to the program launching later this summer.Questions and feedback on the program can be sent to Solarinfo@hbgelec.com.